navy lines background

Saturday, November 12, 2011

swallowed up in life

a few weeks ago, my cousin gwen posted about her grandmother's passing.  she quoted 2 corinthians 5:4, and the last phrase jumped out at me "what is mortal may be swallowed up by life."  i can't stop thinking about that.

for a christian, a funeral isn't a sign of life being swallowed up in death.

it's death, being swallowed up by life!

our lives here, compared with heaven?  ghastly spectres.  we are not what we will be.  we will be truly, fully, gorgeously alive.  like a candle: the match scraping, the burst of flame is not the end; it is the rich and true fulfillment. life beginning.

and today, it dawned on me that every time i die to myself (choose God's way and not my own, like when i want to punch that lady in the face for staring with horror at sam's bump and i don't), my sinful self is being swallowed up by life.

i long for the day when the death in which i dwell will be entirely consumed by the blazing sun of life.

1 comment:

  1. I just discovered this song by casting crowns called already there or almost there (it's early and my brain isn't working) but it totally talks about this. pretty cool, eh?

    ReplyDelete