navy lines background

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

classic film: the more the merrier

Yesterday I watched The More the Merrier (1943) starring Jean Arthur, Joel McCrea, and Charles Coburn.

It was totally adorable.  I love old movies, and that one just made me laugh.  It felt like an Emilie Loring novel, complete with a dashing hero, a reluctant romance, and wartime Washington DC.  It was funny, with unexpected little one-liners going off all the time without fanfare, and a few slapstick falls on the side, just for kicks.

(The only things I didn't like: the hairstyles (icksville) and Jean Arthur's voice.  It sounded so affected - unnatural and whiny.)

I especially loved the 1940s fashion.  Cute shoes with buttons, a-line skirts, and trim little blouses - mmmm. 


Old movies are just so nice :). 

No comments:

Post a Comment